In light of the current Coronavirus outbreak, you will likely see an increase in patients seeking advice.
The current risk level is low to moderate (last checked 12th February 2020). Please see the following documents to support you in giving advice to your patients, helping avert misinformation and reinforce preventative measures that can be taken to reduce the risk of contracting and/or spreading viruses.
Update: NHS England and Improvement Standard Operating Procedure for Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Published 27th February 2020 – Click here to view
Read through the briefing from NHS England and Improvement for Primary Care providers (published 18th February 2020) for action in your pharmacy – click here to view
CPD for Primary Health Care Professionals is also available. Espresso CPD: Guidance on novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV from Mims learning is available here (0.25 CPD hours)
Current Government and PHE messaging:
- The Government says the NHS is well prepared to manage and treat new diseases, and it is carefully monitoring the coronavirus situation.
- Enhanced monitoring is in place from all direct flights from Wuhan to the UK. This includes a number of measures that will help to provide advice to travellers if they feel unwell.
- Leaflets and information will be made available across all UK airports, advising travellers from China on what do to if they feel unwell.
- The risk to the UK population has been assessed as low, based on the emerging evidence regarding case numbers, potential sources and human to human transmission, the risk to travellers to Wuhan is moderate.
- There are currently no confirmed cases of this new infection in the UK.
- Government advice for the public is available from: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public
- A guide for those working in primary care can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wn-cov-guidance-for-primary-care
- The MHRA has also published a CAS alert for healthcare professionals: https://www.cas.mhra.gov.uk/ViewandAcknowledgment/ViewAlert.aspx?AlertID=102959
Illustration from Weiman Kow
An illustration from artist Weiman Kow on how the Coronavirus spreads, and advice on preventative measures. This illustration provides easy to understand guidance and information for all.
Please see the following PDF for the full version of all comics in one document, and the link to the original post where this and versions in other languages are available.
Pharmacists advice Coronavirus 2019-nCov infographic from the The International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP)
Q&A How to protect yourself when travelling during the coronavirus (COVID-2019) outbreak. – YouTube